Educational Workshop: The Effects of Suicide
Please note: the workshop room on the second floor is accessible only through one flight of stairs.
The Effects of Suicide: Understanding Suicidal Clients and Supporting Families Through a Loss
According to the World Health Organization, someone around the globe commits suicide every 40 seconds. Approximately 3,500 suicides take place in Canada annually. How can you help someone who is suicidal?
This workshop provides education on interventions and approaches in working with a suicidal client. Our speakers will cover:
- Peer support for families/friends
- What works, the language of suicide, and the skill of listening
- Confronting our own biases and beliefs of bereavement and loss
- Sharing stories, finding strength, finding hope
- Resources and literature recommendations
Who Should Attend this Workshop:
- Front line mental health professionals who work with clients that express suicidal ideation
- Students studying psychology and counselling techniques
- Agency workers who are interested the information for developing policies and procedures
- Individials seeking for information on dealing with suicidal family or friends
About the Speakers
Branch Manager, The Canadian Mental Health Association, Kingston
As an Addictions Counsellor and a Mental Health Promotion Worker, Brenda has facilitated groups for men and women dealing with mental health issues such as depression, anger management, grief and loss and children who are at risk of mental health issues. She has distinct experiences in strategic planning, problem solving, crisis intervention, program delivery and workshop presentations.
Director of Residential Services, Elizabeth Fry Society of Kingston
Judi is the Director of Residential Services at the Elizabeth Fry Society of Kingston. She offers an expertise in counselling for women in crisis, transitional counselling and facilitating workshops.
Book Your Seat at the Early Bird Rate
Register before October 4th to get the Early Bird Special of $55! Regular fee is $65.
|Registration Form Effects of Suicide Workshop.pdf||211.64 KB|